Re: Displaying accumulated autovacuum cost

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Displaying accumulated autovacuum cost
Date: 2011-08-18 01:23:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/17/2011 07:42 PM, Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
> I don't like exposing this information only on title processes. It
> would be difficult for client apps (for example, PGAdmin) to track
> this kind of information and it is restricted to local access. I'm not
> objecting to display this information in process title; I'm just
> saying that that information should be exposed in functions (say
> pg_stat_get_vacuum_[hit|miss|dirty]) too.

I tend to build the simplest possible thing that is useful enough to
work. The data is getting stored and shown now, where it wasn't
before. If it's possible to expose that in additional ways later too,
great. The big step up for this information is to go from
"unobtainable" to "obtainable". I'd prefer not to add a quest for
"easily obtainable" to the requirements until that big jump is made, for
fear it will cause nothing to get delivered.