How to remove conflicts when installing postgres where some other installation of postgres is already running using silent installer

From: "Ashish Kumar Singh" <ashishkumar(dot)singh(at)altair(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Ashish Kumar Singh" <ashishkumar(dot)singh(at)altair(dot)com>
Subject: How to remove conflicts when installing postgres where some other installation of postgres is already running using silent installer
Date: 2011-05-24 18:56:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi List,

I have a requirement where we need to install postgres where some other
installation of postgres is already running using silent installation
mechanism of postgres.

Many times we found issues where script/configuration file are pointing
to old installation not the new one.

Is there any recommended way of solving this kind of problem?

Regards,

Ashish