PostgreSQL fails to bind IPv6 socket at startup on AIX platform

From: CS DBA <cs_dba(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: PG Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL fails to bind IPv6 socket at startup on AIX platform
Date: 2011-08-11 18:24:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi All;

we're trying to get PostgreSQL configured on an AIX box (AIX version 5).

After some digging & adding various paths to LD_LIBRARY_PATH (Thanks to
help from Tom Lane) we were able to complete the source based build.
However, when we try and start the db we get the following:

$ pg_ctl start
server starting
$ LOG: could not bind IPv6 socket: The socket name is already in use.
HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 3116? If not, wait
a few seconds and retry.

I've verified via 'ps' that there are no postgres processes running,
also there is no postmaster.pid file present in the $PGDATA dir

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Kevin Kempter - Constent State
A PostgreSQL Professional Services Company
www.consistentstate.com