Re: Postgres service starts and then stops immediatly

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: "Sofer, Yuval" <Yuval_Sofer(at)bmc(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Zucker, Yehudit" <Yehudit_Zucker(at)bmc(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres service starts and then stops immediatly
Date: 2011-08-11 12:37:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 11/08/2011 6:00 PM, Sofer, Yuval wrote:

> Hi,
>
> -We are using Postgres 8.3.7 on Windows
>
> -We cannot start the Postgres service. The windows OS error message is:
>
> "The PostgreSQL Server 8.3 service on Local Computer started then
> stopped.
> Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example,
> the Performance Logs and Alerts service."
>
> -No logs in the postgres log file
>
> -When using pg_ctl, the postgres.exe is starting OK

This sounds like permissions. Check and make sure that the "postgres"
user has the rights to write to the data directory, including the log files.

Has anything been changed lately? Restored/deleted/updated? System users
modified? Domain policy changed?

Check the Event Viewer for more information about the failure, see if
there's anything there.

What Windows version are you using?

Why PostgreSQL 8.3.7 when the latest release is 8.3.15? You're missing a
lot of bug fixes.

--
Craig Ringer