Re: Policy on pulling in code from other projects?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Policy on pulling in code from other projects?
Date: 2011-07-23 10:39:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/22/2011 10:51 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 07/21/2011 11:13 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> "Joshua D. Drake"<jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>>> So I am looking intently on what it is going to take to get the URI
>>> patch done for psql [1] and was digging around the web and have a URI
>>> parser library. It is under the New BSD license and is strictly RFC
>>> RFC
>>> 3986 [2] compliant .
>>
>> Surely we do not need a whole library to parse URIs.
>>
>> regards, tom lane
>>

> Any other comments? I don't want to do a bunch of work just to have it
> tossesd on a technicality.

1. I think the proposed use is of very marginal value at best, and
certainly not worth importing an external library for.

2. Even if we have the feature, we do not need to parse URIs generally.
A small amount of hand written C code should suffice. If it doesn't that
would itself be an argument against it.

cheers

andrew