Re: WAL archiving to two locations in warm standby

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alanoly Andrews" <alanolya(at)invera(dot)com>, "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL archiving to two locations in warm standby
Date: 2011-07-18 13:49:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Alanoly Andrews <alanolya(at)invera(dot)com> wrote:

> What I would like to tell the postgres engine on the primary is to
> be "satisfied" if the archiving to the primary location succeeded
> and to NOT re-try if the failure was in the remote copy
>
> Is there a way to achive this through the "archive_command" or
> otherwise?

archive_command can call a script, which can be arbitrarily complex,
so sure -- you can do whatever you want within it. That said, why
not copy the archive to the local directory, and then have an rsync
process on the other machine (going through a remote daemon) try to
pull new files over once per minute? That works well for us.

-Kevin