Re: Maximum insert per second

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Jenish Vyas" <jenishvyas(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maximum insert per second
Date: 2011-07-12 13:58:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jenish Vyas <jenishvyas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I am able to insert 1190- 1210 records per seconds.
>
> Now I just want to know by what extend I could stretch it.
>
> What is the maximum insert I can achieve in one second? What is
> the maximum number of insert postgresql achieved so far?

I don't have hard numbers handy, and I know I don't have the fastest
hardware out there, but for bulk loads of narrow tables we typically
see tens of thousands of rows per second. Of course that's with
"running with scissors" settings. We turn off archiving,
autovacuum, fsync, full_page_writes, and synchronous_commit; and
COPY rows within the same transaction which creates the table,
before creating any indexes. Then we build the indexes, VACUUM
FREEZE ANALYZE, and change back to a configuration which actually
preserves the data on a crash.

>From memory, I would say on our larger servers we've probably seen
a max of something on the order of 50,000 rows per second on
relatively narrow tables, without factoring the index build and
vacuum times.

-Kevin