Re: SSI atomic commit

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSI atomic commit
Date: 2011-07-05 19:40:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Isn't SSI *already* forcing a new acquisition of an LWLock during
> commits of read-only transactions that aren't using SSI?

During COMMIT PREPARED there is one. We could avoid that by storing
the transaction isolation level in the persistent data for a
prepared statement, but that seems inappropriate for 9.1 at this
point, and it's hard to be sure that would be a net win. Otherwise
I don't *think* there's an extra LW lock for a non-serializable
transaction (whether or not read-only). Do you see one I'm not
remembering?

-Kevin