Re: [NOVICE] change data type 'money' to '€'

From: Ognjen Blagojevic <ognjen(dot)d(dot)blagojevic(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] change data type 'money' to '€'
Date: 2011-06-30 20:02:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Mäggi,

On 30.6.2011 17:15, Mäggi Hieber wrote:
> In our project table we have a column with costs, using data typ
> "money". By default PostgreSQL always applys '$', but we would like to
> have '€'.
> How can I change the data type "money" (currency) of a column in an
> existing table to '€'?

It is locale specific thing, defined in variable lc_monetary. If your
locale uses $, it will display $. If you want to display EUR instead,
you will need to set lc_monetary to the country using euros (say, Germany).

You may set lc_monetary in postgresql.conf, or within your sql client.
Here is the latter test case:

create table money_test (
m money not null,
primary key(m)