Re: pgsql: Branch refs/heads/REL9_1_STABLE was removed

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Branch refs/heads/REL9_1_STABLE was removed
Date: 2011-06-28 14:52:58
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 06/28/2011 07:39 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Incidentally, the trouble with what Joe did to recover is that he didn't
>> push exactly what he deleted, so the mail record doesn't contain his commit
>> on the 9.1 branch. Ideally he should have reverted his local branch, pushed
>> that, then recommitted his patch and repushed the branch.
>
> Right. The idea behind such a feature would be to protect against
> *mistakes*, not malice..

That *was* a mistake on my part, not malice.

In any case, I was shocked that I was able to do what I did, so I would
support something that prevents mistakes -- at least big ones such as
creating or dropping branches unintentionally. Part of the problem here
is that the people who know exactly how to recover are the same ones who
are not as likely to make mistakes, and vice-versa.

Joe

--
Joe Conway
credativ LLC: http://www.credativ.us