Re: [BUG] Denormal float values break backup/restore

From: Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUG] Denormal float values break backup/restore
Date: 2011-06-20 20:57:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2011-06-20 19:22, Marti Raudsepp wrote:

>> AIUI that is defined to be a little vague, but includes denormalized numbers
>> that would undergo any rounding at all. It says that on overflow the
>> conversion should return the appropriate HUGE_VAL variant, and set ERANGE.
>> On underflow it returns a reasonably appropriate value (and either may or
>> must set ERANGE, which is the part that isn't clear to me).
>
> Which standard is that? Does IEEE 754 itself define strtod() or is
> there another relevant standard?

Urr. No, this is C and/or Unix standards, not IEEE 754.

I did some more research into this. The postgres docs do specify the
range error, but seemingly based on a different interpretation of
underflow than what I found in some of the instances of strtod()
documentation:

Numbers too close to zero that are not representable as
distinct from zero will cause an underflow error.

This talks about denormals that get _all_ their significant digits
rounded away, but some of the documents I saw specify an underflow for
denormals that get _any_ of their significant digits rounded away (and
thus have an abnormally high relative rounding error).

The latter would happen for any number that is small enough to be
denormal, and is also not representable (note: that's not the same thing
as "not representable as distinct from zero"!). It's easy to get
non-representable numbers when dumping binary floats in a decimal
format. For instance 0.1 is not representable, nor are 0.2, 0.01, and
so on. The inherent rounding of non-representable values produces
weirdness like 0.1 + 0.2 - 0.3 != 0.

I made a quick round of the strtod() specifications I could find, and
they seem to disagree wildly:

Source ERANGE when Return what
PostgreSQL docs All digits lost zero
Linux programmer's manual All digits lost zero
My GNU/Linux strtod() Any digits lost rounded number
SunOS 5 Any digits lost rounded number
GNU documentation All digits lost zero
IEEE 1003.1 (Open Group 2004) Any digits lost denormal
JTC1/SC22/WG14 N794 Any digits lost denormal
Sun Studio (C99) Implementation-defined ?
ISO/IEC 9899:TC2 Implementation-defined denormal
C99 Draft N869 (1999) Implementation-defined denormal

We can't guarantee very much, then. It looks like C99 disagrees with
the postgres interpretation, but also leaves a lot up to the compiler.

I've got a few ideas for solving this, but none of them are very good:

(a) Ignore underflow errors.

This could hurt anyone who relies on knowing their floating-point
implementation and the underflow error to keep their rounding errors in
check. It also leaves a kind of gap in the predictability of the
database's floating-point behaviour.

Worst hit, or possibly the only real problem, would be algorithms that
divide other numbers, small enough not to produce infinities, by rounded
denormals.

(b) Dump REAL and DOUBLE PRECISION in hex.

With this change, the representation problem goes away and ERANGE would
reliably mean "this was written in a precision that I can't reproduce."
We could sensibly provide an option to ignore that error for
cross-platform dump/restores.

This trick does raise a bunch of compatibility concerns: it's a new
format of data to restore, it may not work on pre-C99 compilers, and so
on. Also, output for human consumption would have to differ from
pg_dump output.

(c) Have pg_dump produce calculations, not literals, for denormals.

Did I mention how these were not great ideas? If your database dump
contains 1e-308, pg_dump could recognize that this value can be
calculated in the database but possibly not entered directly, and dump
e.g. "1e-307::float / 10" instead.

(d) Make pg_dump set some "ignore underflows" option.

This may make dumps unusable for older postgres versions. Moreover, it
doesn't help ORMs and applications that are currently unable to store
the "problem numbers."

(e) Do what the documentation promises.

Actually I have no idea how we could guarantee this.

(f) Ignore ERANGE unless strtod() returns ±0 or ±HUGE_VAL.

This is probably a reasonable stab at common sense. It does have the
nasty property that it doesn't give a full guarantee either way:
restores could still break on pre-C99 systems that return 0 on
underflow, but C99 doesn't guarantee a particularly accurate denormal.
In practice though, implementations seem to do their best to give you
the most appropriate rounded number.

Jeroen