Search for lists

From: Daron Ryan <daron(dot)ryan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Search for lists
Date: 2011-06-18 21:51:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I need to search a table to find sets of rows that have a column
matching itself for the whole set and another column matching row for
row with a list I am going to supply. The result I should receive should
be value of the column that matches itself.

For example given the following data in my table:

3; 1
3; 2
4; 8
4; 9
4; 10

I might need to search for 1,2. This should produce the result 3. Or if
I were to search for 8, 9, 10 the result should be 4. Searching for 8, 9
should produce an empty result as should 8, 9, 10, 11.

Can anyone recommend a strategy?