Re: Failover Datasource?

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Failover Datasource?
Date: 2011-06-17 02:02:32
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 06/16/11 6:55 PM, Bruce Adams wrote:
> In principal, I agree; in practice, that's not the way it's been done
> in the Java application server world.
>
> I have two readily available Java database connection pool
> implementations available: the one bundled with Apache Tomcat and
> Hibernate's c3p0. Neither of these directly support failover. They
> each expect the lower level JDBC driver to deal with failover. (This
> is true of BEA WebLogic and IBM WebSphere as well, at least as of a
> few years ago when I last used them intensely.)
>
> What I'm looking for is very standard stuff in the Java application
> server world. The JDBC driver handles failover and/or load balancing
> to multiple backend database servers.

it just seems to me that the individual client drivers shouldn't be what
is tracking the state of the server cluster. I can't imagine the
driver layer could do more than 'try connecting to server 1, if that
fails, try server 2'... if server 1 is dead and not responding, this is
going to be painfully slow and result in minute long TCP connection
timeouts on each connect.

Do oracle jdbc drivers support this multiple-server notation, same as
shown here earlier for mysql?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast