Re: BUG #5741: syslog line length

From: Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5741: syslog line length
Date: 2011-06-10 14:21:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 02/11/2010 17:17, heasley wrote:

> Bug reference: 5741
> Logged by: heasley
> Email address: heas(at)shrubbery(dot)net
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4
> Operating system: solaris
> Details:
>
> * Max string length to send to syslog(). Note that this doesn't count the
> * sequence-number prefix we add, and of course it doesn't count the prefix
> * added by syslog itself. On many implementations it seems that the
> hard
> * limit is approximately 2K bytes including both those prefixes.
> */
> #ifndef PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT
> #define PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT 1024
> #endif
>
> solaris' syslogd limits the line length to 1024, with a
> FQDN and it's silly "msg ID" quite a bit is dropped by
> syslogd.

I've been having the exact same problem with CentOS 5.5 these days (and
a customer's Red Hat 5.4).

This same problem occurs with sysklogd, which has a
#define MAXLINE 1024 /* maximum line length */

Replacing sysklogd with rsyslog, metalog or syslog-ng solves the
problem, as they all have 2048 for their buffer size.

But CentOS and RedHat 5 both seem to have sysklogd as the default logger.

I'll solve this by changing their logger, but I thought it would be
worthy to mention.