Re: Creating new remote branch in git?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating new remote branch in git?
Date: 2011-06-10 06:53:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/10/2011 12:19 AM, Alex Hunsaker wrote:
> It looks like if you push the remote branch first everything should work nicely:
> git checkout master
> git push origin origin:refs/heads/REL9_1_STABLE
> git fetch # fetch the new branch
> git checkout REL9_1_STABLE

This is basically the state of the art right now for the most frequently
deployed versions of git. I don't think checking out master first is
necessary though.

Potentially useful automation/trivia for alternate approaches includes:

1) Write a little script to do this messy chore, so you don't have to
remember this weird "create a new branch using a full refspec" syntax.
There is an example named git-create-branch along with a short tutorial
on this subject at
http://www.zorched.net/2008/04/14/start-a-new-branch-on-your-remote-git-repository/

2) Use git_remote_branch https://github.com/webmat/git_remote_branch
which is the swiss army knife of remote branch hackery automation.

3) Rather than manually hack the config files, use "git config" to do
it. Not sure if this is completely workable, but something like this
might connect the newly created branch to your local one after pushing
it out, without actually opening the config with an editor:

git config branch.REL9_1_STABLE.remote origin
git config branch.REL9_1_STABLE.merge refs/heads/REL9_1_STABLE

4) Use a system with git>=1.7.0, which adds:

git branch --set-upstream REL9_1_STABLE origin/REL9_1_STABLE