tuning autovacuum

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: tuning autovacuum
Date: 2011-06-08 21:54:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

There are some releases that autovacuum was enabled by default and, up to now
there is an easy way to estimate the number of autovacuum workers. I tune it
observing if the number of slots are saturated for a period of time. I'm
having a hard time trying to do this. I want to add a LOG message such as

LOG: maximum number of autovacuum workers reached
HINT: Consider increasing autovacuum_max_workers (currently 5).

And also a view (say pg_stat_autovacuum) to expose some autovacuum information
such as (i) number of autovacuum workers (ii) number of tables that needs
analyze/vacuum and are scheduled to (iii) number of autovacuum count (iv)
number of autoanalyze count. While I am in this topic, it would be nice to
expose the analyze/vacuum count and threshold per table. This information
should go to pg_stat_*_tables but it already has too much fields. Maybe it is
time to split autovacuum information into another statistic view?

Comments?

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira http://www.timbira.com.br/