Re: Compromised postgresql instances

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compromised postgresql instances
Date: 2018-06-08 20:54:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/020901d3f14c%24512a46d0%24f37ed470%24%40gmail.com

> but am
> too lazy to trawl the archives right now.

Yes, plus I recall a couple of discussions on IRC with similar behaviour, and
a few more details about how the binaries were being uploaded.

>> Furthermore, security concerns are best addressed to the security
>> mailing list.
>
> Unless there's some evidence that these attacks are getting in through
> a heretofore unknown PG security vulnerability, rather than user
> misconfiguration (such as weak/no password), I'm not sure what the
> security list would have to offer. Right now it seems like Steve's move
> to try to gather more evidence is quite the right thing to do.

Yeah. It's not a security issue with postgresql itself, I don't believe, so not
really something that has to go to the security alias. It's more of an ops
issue, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone was already looking at it,
and to raise a flag if they weren't.

Cheers,
Steve