Re: BUG #6050: Dump and restore of view after a schema change: can't restore the view

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Daniel Cristian Cruz" <danielcristian(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6050: Dump and restore of view after a schema change: can't restore the view
Date: 2011-06-03 20:25:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> Would it be possible to dump USING as an equivalent ON condition
> on output (nodeToString), and then examine simple ON conditions to
> turn them into USING conditions on input (stringToNode)?

You know, I'm not necessarily against some warning that a USING
clause in a view definition makes that view more fragile in the face
of schema changes. If we could invalidate the view at the time of
the schema change, that would not offend me at all. The two things
which would offend me here are generating a dump which can't be
restored in a single transaction because of errors, or essentially
deprecating the USING clause in general.

-Kevin