Re: Cube Index Size

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Nick Raj <nickrajjain(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cube Index Size
Date: 2011-06-01 11:37:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01.06.2011 10:48, Nick Raj wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Heikki Linnakangas<
> heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> If not, please post a self-contained test case to create and populate the
>> table, so that others can easily try to reproduce it.
>>

> I have attached .sql file that having 20000 tuples
> Table creation - create table cubtest(c cube);
> Index creation - create index t on cubtest using gist(c);

Ok, I can reproduce the issue with that. The index is only 4MB in size
when I populate it with random data (vs. 15 MB with your data). The
command I used is:

INSERT INTO cubtest SELECT cube(random(), random()) FROM
generate_series(1,20000);

My guess is that the picksplit algorithm performs poorly with that data.
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to improve that.

--
Heikki Linnakangas