Re: troubles with initdb

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: jlhgis <julia(dot)harrell(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: troubles with initdb
Date: 2011-06-01 00:14:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On 05/31/2011 11:16 PM, jlhgis wrote:
> I stopped the first instance of PostgreSQL and made a copy of the
> ‘postgresql’ software installation. Copied
> "D:\Database_Apps\PostgreSQL_Dev" to
> "D:\Database_Apps\PostgreSQL_Test".

You don't need to do that. It's fine to use the same binaries and just
have multiple data directories.

It's also unnecessary to create a second user account for the second
instance, though you can if you'd prefer to isolate them. Having
multiple instances running under the 'postgres' account is fine.

I often run test instances under my own local user account rather than
making a user account at all, just because it's easier.

When you run initdb, are you invoking it via runas.exe as postgres_test
? Or logging in as the postgres_test user?

Your command line looks OK to me, so I'm not sure what's going on. With
adjustments for paths it runs fine on my (Linux) system. I'll have a
play on my Windows desktop in a bit.

--
Craig Ringer