Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project
Date: 2011-05-30 05:30:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Here is a list to choose from:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_issue_tracking_systems

I turned this into a spreadsheet to sort and prune more easily; if
anyone wants that let me know, it's not terribly useful beyond what I'm
posting here. 44 total, 16 that are open-source. I would say that
having an e-mail interface is the next major cut to make. While
distasteful, it's possible for this project to adopt a solution that
doesn't use PostgreSQL, and one interesting candidate is in that
category. It's not feasible to adopt one that doesn't integrate well
with e-mail though.

List of software without listed e-mail integration: Fossil, GNATS,
Liberum Help Desk, MantisBT, org-mode, Flyspray, ikiwiki, Trac.

The 8 F/OSS programs left after that filter are:

OTRS
Debbugs
Request Tracker
Zentrack
LibreSource
Redmine
Roundup
Bugzilla

The next two filters you might apply are:

Support for Git: Redmine, Bugzilla
PostgreSQL back-end: OTRS, Request Tracker, LibreSource, Redmine,
Roundup, Bugzilla

There are a couple of additional nice to have items I saw on the feature
list, and they all seem to spit out just Redmine & Bugzilla. Those are
the two I've ended up using the most on PostgreSQL related projects,
too, so that isn't a surprise to me. While I'm not a strong fan of
Redmine, it has repeatedly been the lesser of the evils available here
for three different companies I've worked at or dealt with.

Greg Stark is right that Debbugs has a lot of interesting features
similar to the desired workflow here. It's not tied to just Debian
anymore; the GNU project is also using it now. And the database backend
isn't that terrible to consider: it's flat files with a BerkleyDB index
built on top. I think if it was perfect except for that, it would still
be worth considering. Debbugs is far from a general purpose solution
though, so any customization to support differences in this project's
workflow would likely end up being one-off hacks. The VCS support might
be a problem, but I've gotten the impression that git is increasingly
popular for other Debian work. Since the program is in Perl, I can't
imagine it's a gigantic task to switch that out, and probably one other
people would like to see.