Re: Shared Buffer Size

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shared Buffer Size
Date: 2011-05-29 02:05:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On 05/28/2011 04:42 AM, Carl von Clausewitz wrote:
> I've try to get any information about optimal memory config, and
> working, but there wasn't any "optimal memory setting calculator" on
> the internet, just some guide in the posgre documentation

There's a simple one at https://github.com/gregs1104/pgtune and the
guide at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server
covers many of the most popular questions here too. The right
proportion of memory setting is very dependent on workload, which makes
any sort of calculator hard to create. pgtune takes a workload type as
an input to help with that, but the settings that come out should be
considered starting values only. You'll need to monitoring how much
memory is actually being used by the server, as well as the output from
parameters like log_time_files, to know for sure if things are working well.