Re: The shared buffers challenge

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The shared buffers challenge
Date: 2011-05-27 18:47:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> That's just plain unfair: I didn't challenge your suggestion nor give
> you homework.

I was stuck either responding to your challenge, or leaving the
impression I hadn't done the research to back the suggestions I make if
I didn't. That made it a mandatory homework assignment for me, and I
didn't appreciate that.

> *) the documentation should really explain this better (in particular,
> it should debunk the myth 'more buffers = more caching'

Any attempt to make a serious change to the documentation around
performance turns into a bikeshedding epic, where the burden of proof to
make a change is too large to be worth the trouble to me anymore. I
first started publishing tuning papers outside of the main docs because
it was the path of least resistance to actually getting something useful
in front of people. After failing to get even basic good
recommendations for checkpoint_segments into the docs, I completely gave
up on focusing there as my primary way to spread this sort of information.