Re: PostgreSQL 8.4.8 bringing my website down every evening

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz
Cc: Alexander Farber <alexander(dot)farber(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4.8 bringing my website down every evening
Date: 2011-05-26 02:45:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On 05/26/2011 02:53 AM, tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz wrote:

> Decrease the max_connections, use connection pooling if possible (e.g.
> pgbouncer). Each connection represents a separate postgres process, so you
> may get up to 512 processes. And that many active processes kills the
> performance.

... and this is why it'd be great to see pooling-by-default in Pg, be it
integrated PgPool or something else. For every person making the effort
to ask on the mailing list, how many give up and go away?

Yes, I know it's not exactly easy to integrate pooling, and that there
are real disagreements about pooling vs admission control.

--
Craig Ringer