Re: Connecting to Postgres using Windows 7

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Geoffrey Becker <g(dot)off(dot)becker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting to Postgres using Windows 7
Date: 2011-05-26 02:36:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On 05/25/2011 09:49 PM, Geoffrey Becker wrote:

> When I try to connect, all I get is a "Server does not exist or access
> is denied" error. I've tried configuring ODBC using odbcad32.exe as it
> seems that is necessary on a 64 bit OS, but I'm not sure if that even
> the right way to go.

*which* odbcad32.exe?

Due to a nasty historical quirk Microsoft is stuck with for backward
compat, there are both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of odbcad32.exe .

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976

http://robertoschiabel.wordpress.com/2008/02/28/windows-x64-32bit-odbc-vs-64bit-odbc/

(Is this in the PgODBC documentation? It should be.)

--
Craig Ringer