Re: serveRAID M5014 SAS

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: serveRAID M5014 SAS
Date: 2011-05-25 22:24:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 25/05/11 19:33, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
> Does anyone here have any bad experiences with the RAID card in subject ?
> This is in an IBM server, with 2.5" 10k drives.
>
> But we seem to observe its poor performance in other configurations as
> well (with different drives, different settings) in comparison with -
> say, what dell provides.

Interestingly enough, I've been benchmarking a M5015 SAS, with the
optional wee cable for enabling the battery backup for the 512MB of
cache. With a 6 disk raid 10 + 2 disk raid 1 - with the array settings
NORA+DIRECT, and writeback enabled we're seeing quite good pgbench
performance (12 cores + 48G ram, Ubuntu 10.04 with xfs):

scale 2500 db with 48 clients, 10 minute runs: 2300 tps
scale 500 db with 24 clients, 10 minute runs: 6050 tps

I did notice that the sequential performance was quite lackluster (using
bonnie) - but are not too concerned about that for the use case (could
probably fix using blockdev --setra).

I'm guessing that even tho your M5014 card comes with less ram (256M I
think), if you can enable the battery backup and cache writes it should
be quite good. Also I think the amount of ram on the card is upgradable
(4G is the max for the M5105 I *think* - can't find the right doc to
check this ATM sorry).

Cheers

Mark