Re: how to find index columns

From: "Eric B(dot) Ridge" <ebr(at)tcdi(dot)com>
To: andrew(at)supernews(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to find index columns
Date: 2006-12-06 15:05:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 5, 2006, at 11:17 PM, Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> Way ahead of you: http://pgfoundry.org/projects/newsysviews/ (see the
> source code repo, there are no releases)

Neat. I looked at this:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/newsysviews/newsysview/
sql/indexes.sql?rev=1.2

Seems both views are missing the indexed column name(s). I ran into
a situation where I needed to present a list of all indexed columns
on a table, hence my "information_schema.indexes" view. It attempts
to parse the columns from the index definition. It just can't parse
definitions that use functional indexes.

Maybe you can consider adding a similar column to these views?
Output the column names as a name[] and maybe add another column for
"functional_definition"? Maybe Postgres could maintain that
information in the system catalogs, but I suppose there's a good
reason it doesn't already do that.

Just a thought.

eric