Re: column type for pdf file

From: Julien Cigar <jcigar(at)ulb(dot)ac(dot)be>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: column type for pdf file
Date: 2011-05-18 21:21:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 05/18/2011 23:00, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:46:23PM +0200, Julien Cigar wrote:
>
>> Unless you've good reasons to do so it's best to store the file on
>> the file system
> Why ?
>
> If you suggest reasons are needed for storing the PDF in the
> database I'd like to know the reasons for *not* doing so.

It increases the load, consume connections, but the biggest drawback is
probably the memory consumption ..

IMHO storing binary data in a database is almost always a bad idea .. it
could be OK to store things like avatars, small icons, etc, but
certainly not to store files of several MB ... file systems are done for
that !

> Karsten

Attachment Content-Type Size
jcigar.vcf text/x-vcard 254 bytes