Re: Transaction control overhauling

From: Federico Di Gregorio <federico(dot)digregorio(at)dndg(dot)it>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction control overhauling
Date: 2011-05-12 12:13:09
Lists: psycopg

On 12/05/11 13:57, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> II. add a method conn.set_transaction(isolation_level=None,
>> > read_only=None, deferrable=None) allowing to change one or more of the
>> > transaction settings. Calling the method would terminate the current
>> > transaction and put the new settings in place. Note that there are
>> > several ways for implementing this:
> Ugh. Big -1 on the "terminate current transaction". First of all, I
> *assume* you mean ROLLBACK and not COMMIT. But even so, I think it's a
> much better idea to raise a local exception when trying to change it
> while inside a transaction.

That makes sense. Currently psycopg keeps track of the current
transaction level to be able to decide if to terminare the transaction
(with a ROLLBACK) or not. But that's less than optimal because the
result of set_transaction_isolation() depends both on internal state and
issued queries. Much much better to just raise an exception if inside a
transaction.

federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio federico(dot)digregorio(at)dndg(dot)it
Studio Associato Di Nunzio e Di Gregorio http://dndg.it