RE: ODBC driver for Windows

From: "Simon Hardingham" <simon(at)netxtra(dot)net>
To: "'Thomas Lockhart'" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, "'Sean Alphonse'" <salphonse1(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: "'Pgsql-Interfaces'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: ODBC driver for Windows
Date: 2000-08-09 15:41:34
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> > While using the ODBC driver for Windows, downloaded from
> > ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/index.html using
> PostgreSQL version 7.0.2
> > on Red Hat GNU/Linux 6.1, we received errors while trying
> to edit values
> > with the letter "I". Is the letter "I" a problem with the
> ODBC driver?
>
> Not that I know of. It is hard to picture what could be wrong; perhaps
> you should give a more detailed description of the tools and
> query/update you are trying to perform.

I have had a lot of problems with the ODBC drivers and making updates on
tables when I upgraded to version 7.0.2 last week. Some data we could
update, no problem, others just continually gave "Someone else has made
changes - could not update" errors from Access.

Following the conversations about the float4 - float8 conversion issues and
after playing with the SQL created by the ODBC driver I am pretty sure I
have nailed the problem down to the fact that the ODBC tries to equate _all_
fields (including the floats) in the WHERE clause to make sure only the
correct row is updated. It doesn't seem to make any use of primary keys or
the fields specified as making a record unique as specified when the link is
created as I would have expected.

If my tables contained floats then I got the update errors sometimes as
postgres failed to equate values specified by Access in the query to those
in the database records. By changing all the float4 fields to float8 in all
my tables I have improved the situation and can update most records without
problems. There is still the occasional row which I can not update because
of a mismatch though. Our previous 6.5.2 versioned worked fine with
everything else the same.

I hope this might shed some light on this problem. Perhaps the row with an
'I' in contains a float value which is being rounded and so does not match?
If there are no float values in the row then just ignore me and I go back to
sleep ;-)

Regards

Simon
_/ Simon Hardingham - netXtra Ltd - UK _/
_/ Tel: +44 (0) 1787 319393 Fax: +44 (0) 1787 319394 _/
_/ http://www.netxtra.co.uk simon(at)netxtra(dot)co(dot)uk _/