Re: PGXN Hosting

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-www www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGXN Hosting
Date: 2011-05-11 19:45:02
Lists: pgsql-www

On 05/11/2011 09:25 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On May 11, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>
>>> Looks like 5.12.3 has been built for sid:
>>>
>>> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=perl
>>>
>>> Is that do-able? Would save me some effort to use that (effort better spent on community auth integration).
>>
>> I would stringly prefer to stay on 5.10 from squeeze if that is doable, manual backporting of such a huge package like perl with its millions of forward and reverse dependencies will cause no end of pain :(
>> Running the (available) postgresql 9.0 backport is a breeze compared to that however.
>
> Well, if I could compile 5.12, I'd install it in /usr/local/. No need to replace the system Perl at all. That's how I generally work with this stuff: Leave the system Perl for system tasks; build my own Perl for the apps I build.

yeah and now the fun starts... "ok we use the packaged postgresql - in
need plperl in ther to be 5.12", "we cannot use the packaged DBD::Pg
because that one needs to be compiled agains 5.12 as well", "an oh
because it is simpled we cannot use any packaged perl lib at all because
it is so much easier if I just install my own copy that will never be
security tracked".
We(mostly magnus) basically spent man years to get the new
infrastructure up and long term maintainable and having to start
supporting random hand compiled complex packages (again) on them does
not sound like the right thing to do - it is where we came from and we
defintely dont want to get back there.
If it really needs perl 5.12 (and maybe other stuff) I would rather
think it is better to keep pgxn as a seperate entity for the time being.
Infrastructure is all about reliability, sustainability and
manageability - that often does not mix too well with developer needs
but that is how it is...

Stefan