Re: My server is oddly very slow

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "adrien ducos" <aducos(at)hbs-research(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: My server is oddly very slow
Date: 2011-05-04 17:46:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

adrien ducos <aducos(at)hbs-research(dot)com> wrote:

[rearranged somewhat]

> The version of both databases is postgres 8.4.1

[sigh] You really should upgrade.

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release.html

> So I checked the memory on prod during my query execution:
> vmstat

> procs -----------memory----------
> r b swpd free buff cache
> 0 1 1280 23320 6356 2975956

> The swap is not used but something is a bit odd: the cache is
> using 98% of the RAM

The first line in vmstat (which is all you get if you run it without
a number) is averages since the OS was booted. That's not usually
very helpful. What does this show?:

free -m

or run the query while watching the output from:

vmstat 1

> the copy of files on the SAN is about 3 times faster than on the
> development hard drive.

Copy time doesn't always correlate real well with database
performance. Have you tried running bonnie++ or similar?

-Kevin