Re: Major features for 9.1

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major features for 9.1
Date: 2011-04-30 07:33:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 04/03/2011 02:18 PM, Joshua Berkus wrote:
> * Transaction-controlled Synch Rep
> I would like to have volunteers from the advocacy list commit to taking on one of each of these features. For each one we need:
>
> a) a two-line explanation of what the feature is and why it's valuable (for the release notes, etc.)
> b) a wiki page with a more detailed explaination and examples oriented towards the beginning-to-intermediate PostgreSQL user.

We already have http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Synchronous_replication
for sync rep, and I just started changing that around so that it
reflects the code committed into 9.1. I got my first set of questions
today suggesting our internal work on documenting this from the ground
up is moving along. Over the next month we'll have at least two people
chugging away at making that targeted more toward beginners (or split
into something that is).

I've been doing the elevator pitch for sync rep for a while now; here's
a first draft description for the release notes:

Transaction-controlled Synchronous Replication: When replicating to
multiple nodes, customize every database transaction for its individual
speed and durability needs. Options range from only committing to
memory on the master up to the new synchronous standby mode, where data
must be stored on multiple servers to be considered safe.

The fact that several of the modes alluded to there were already
available on a per-transaction basis isn't new, but I think it's worth
being explicit about anyway because it's not really appreciated the way
it should be. Combine this with a pitch for unlogged tables and there's
an interesting angle to complete with NoSQL...wait, I'm feeling some
more ad copy:

PostgreSQL 9.1 lets you pick exactly the level of commit guarantee your
data requires. Whether you want unlogged tables optimized only for
speed, or you need durable synchronous replication to multiple servers,
you're covered--all in one database.

Need to take a shower to wash the stench of marketing off now.