operator classes for index?

From: Yves Weißig <weissig(at)rbg(dot)informatik(dot)tu-darmstadt(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: operator classes for index?
Date: 2011-04-24 17:09:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

again index access methods, can somebody shed some light into operator
classes for indexes? The documentation is an entry point, but after
reading I still don't have a clue how exactly they are used and created?
Perhaps somebody with great knowledge can supply an 101 on opeartor
classes? Because I keep getting the hint: You must specify an operator
class for the index or define a default operator class for the data type.

Greets, Yves