Re: How to configure a read-only database server?

From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to configure a read-only database server?
Date: 2011-04-24 12:37:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

Dne 24.4.2011 11:38, Stefan Keller napsal(a):
> AFAIK it helps at least bulk loading my data every other time.

Yes, but this thread was about setting the DB for read-only workload, so
those settings were a bit strange.

> So I'm confused and backup again: Given a single-disk virtual Linux
> system and a 'read-only' dataset, which is exposed to the internet and
> completely replaced from time to time, and expecting SELECT queries
> including joins, sorts, equality and range (sub-)queries...
>
> => What are the suggested postgresql.conf and session parameters for
> such a "read-only database" to "Whac-A-Mole" (i.e. to consider :->)?

What database size are we talking about? Does that fit into RAM or not?

If not, set large shared buffers and effective cache size appropriately.

If it fits into memory, you could lower the random_page_cost (but this
should be handled by the DB). Or you could create a ramdisk and use it
to store the data (in this case lowering random_page_cost makes much
more sense).

regards
Tomas