Re: BUG #5974: UNION construct type cast gives poor error message

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Jeff Wu" <jwu(at)atlassian(dot)com>
Cc: "Mike Fowler" <mike(at)mlfowler(dot)com>,<pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #5974: UNION construct type cast gives poor error message
Date: 2011-04-21 15:33:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Jeff Wu <jwu(at)atlassian(dot)com> wrote:

> what needs to happen to get this fix in?

Well, "fix" implies that there is a bug, which there isn't. The
current behavior doesn't violate the requirements of the standard,
nor is it a regression from the behavior of any previous PostgreSQL
release. What we're talking about is a request for enhancement --
to return results for cases in which the standard allows an error to
be thrown.

Enhancements are not applied to stable branches, and the 9.1 release
has been in feature freeze for months now, so the earliest release
we'd probably consider is 9.2.

If there are no objections I'll add this to the TODO Wiki page with
a reference to Tom's description of how it should be implemented. I
didn't get the sense from the discussion that this is one which
should be marked "easy" -- agreed?

In the meantime, the workaround is to explicitly cast quoted
literals and nulls in the result list of a set operation like UNION.

-Kevin