Re: MMAP Buffers

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MMAP Buffers
Date: 2011-04-16 23:19:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Radosław Smogura wrote:
> Yes, but, hmm... in Netbeans I had really long gaps (probably 8
> spaces, from tabs), so deeper "ifs", comments at the and of variables,
> went of out my screen. I really wanted to not format this, but
> sometimes I needed.

The guide at
http://www.open-source-editor.com/editors/how-to-make-netbeans-use-tabs-for-indention.html
seems to cover how to fix this in Netbeans. You want it to look like
that screen shot: 4 spaces per indent with matching tab size of 4, and
"Expand Tabs to Spaces" unchecked.

Generally, if you look at the diff you've created, and your new code
doesn't line up right with what's already there, that means the
tab/space setup isn't quite right when you were editing. Reading the
diff is useful for catching all sorts of other issues, too, so it's just
generally a good practice. As Peter already mentioned, the big problem
here is that you checked in a modified configure file.

I also note that you use C++ style "//" comments, which aren't allowed
under the coding guidelines--even though they work fine on many common
platforms.