Re: Planning for 1.14 Beta 1

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Planning for 1.14 Beta 1
Date: 2011-04-05 08:24:25
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le 04/04/2011 21:53, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Le 04/04/2011 16:59, Dave Page a écrit :
>> [...]
>> We need to start planning for 1.14 beta 1, to be released roughly in
>> line with PostgreSQL 9.1 beta 1 which is likely to be just a few short
>> weeks away.
>>
>> Does anyone have any outstanding patches or WIP for this release?
>>

> Nope. I'm only working on the dialogs right now. There are quite a lot
> of tickets to work on, but I don't want to start big tickets for this
> release.

Hmm, nights help you remember some stuff. So, just to let you know the
things we don't support yet:

* 7.4: operator class (the properties dialog only)

* 8.3: operator family (the properties dialog only)

* 9.1:
* per column collation support
* security label
* hostname/host suffixes in pg_hba.conf

Operator class and operator family are not showstoppers, at least to me.
I would love to have them, but they are definitely not a priority.

The security label feature isn't hard to implement. I previously thought
we would need to add yet another tab, which bores me to death, but I had
another idea while working on the dialogs. Security label behaves more
or less like comments, so I intend to add support just like support for
comments was done. It should be a quick patch to write.

I'm not sure about the host-name/suffix stuff. There is a bug to fix in
the pg_hba.conf editor, could be part of it.

I still didn't work on the "per column collation support" because Tom
was working really hard on fixing/implementing it. But I think we need
that one before beta1. Maybe the only showstopper right now.

So, here are the stuff I can do quickly:
* finish the work on the dialogs (probably thursday)
* add the security label support (friday)

The two of them and my two latest patches not yet commited could be
available at the end of the week.

And, unless someone works on it, I can start the work on the "per column
collation" patch, starting next week. It doesn't feel to be a hard patch
to write, even if it touches many objects.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr