Re: GSoC 2011 Eager MV implementation proposal

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC 2011 Eager MV implementation proposal
Date: 2011-03-31 23:20:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/31/2011 04:38 PM, AAMIR KHAN wrote:
> I would like to implement eager materialized view.An eager
> materialized view will be updated whenever the view changes. This is
> done with a system of triggers on all of the underlying tables.

Last summer someone worked on snapshot materialized views. That didn't
result in anything that could be committed. If you wanted to work on
trying to actually finish that, that might go somewhere useful. There
are a number of hard problems in getting a working implementation of
materialized views that all get ignored by all of the student proposals
we get, and what you're talking about doesn't address any of them.

You really should read all of the messages in the following threads:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-04/msg00479.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-06/msg00743.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-07/msg00396.php

And the following summaries:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Materialized_Views_GSoC_2010
http://rhaas.blogspot.com/2010/04/materialized-views-in-postgresql.html

And then say how what you're suggesting fits into the issues raised last
summer. The theory and way to implement eager MVs are interesting
problems. But working on them won't lead toward code that can be
committed to PostgreSQL this year.