Re: Adding Missing Data to a Table

From: Michael Ewan <michael(dot)ewan(at)intel(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding Missing Data to a Table
Date: 2011-03-29 20:54:17
Lists: pdxpug

On 03/29/2011 01:23 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, wes wrote:
> They're apparently assigning reference and sample_id numbers now. I want
> to ensure there are no duplicate entries 'cause that would FUBAR statistical
> analyses.
>
> Rich

A rowid won't guarantee that a record doesn't have duplicate data, a
constraint on the rowid will just guarantee the rowid isn't duplicated.
You really need a unique identifier that is related to the data
(composite key for instance). If your data source has rowid, keep the
column, but don't use it since it is already inconsistent.