Re: JDBC gripe list

From: Mike Fowler <mike(at)mlfowler(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC gripe list
Date: 2011-03-26 21:35:18
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 26/03/11 14:35, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:37 PM, MauMau<maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> 1. Better JDBC4 support
>> I'd like the driver to support more JDBC4 features, regardless of whether
>> they are actually useful. Just lack of support could lead to underevaluation
>> when compared to other databases such as Oracle and HSQLDB (IIRC, HSQLDB
>> provides better JDBC4 support). I love PostgreSQL and don't want my
>> colleagues to underevaluate PostgreSQL.
> So looking at some of the stuff in JDBC4 one simple thing is that many
> times we throw not implemented when we should be throwing
> SqlFeatureNotSupported.

That may very well help, I did a grep last month of all the places where
the not implemented exception is as a way to work out what work could be
done (see
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2011-02/msg00087.php). Though
I've only had a little time to look since, there were some features that
I thought just weren't possible with Postgres so perhaps it's worth
discussing what features can be supported and need developing and which
methods should be changed to throw the better exception.

One feature that I noticed that isn't implemented is named parameters on
prepared statements. From a cursory glance I believe that it is possible
to that with Postgres, but I note that it's never been implemented for
JDBC 2 and upwards. Unless someone tells me it's technically not
possible I'd be prepared to invest some time over the coming weeks to
add that feature.

Regards,

--
Mike Fowler