Re: GSoC 2011 - Mentors? Projects?

From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC 2011 - Mentors? Projects?
Date: 2011-03-26 01:43:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dne 26.3.2011 02:05, Joshua Berkus napsal(a):
> Tomas,
>
>> I spoke to a teacher from a local university last week, mainly as we
>> were looking for a place where a local PUG could meet regularly. I
>> realized this could be a good opportunity to head-hunt some students
>> participate in this GSoC. Are we still interested in new students?
>
> Yes, please! We have had students from Charles University several
> times before, and would be glad to have more. The wiki page has
> links to the information about the program. Talk to Zdenek if you
> have more questions.

I know Zdenek was mentoring some students in the previous years, but
he's been a bit hard to reach recently. And the deadline is near.

I've read some info about the program on a wiki, but I'm not sure what
should the students do. Let's say they will read the list of project
ideas on the wiki, and they'll choose one or two of them. What should
they do next? Should they write to the pgsql-students mailing list?

I guess most of the students won't have much experience with PostgreSQL,
and most of the ideas is described just very briefly, so they'll need
help with the proposal.

regards
Tomas