Re: 2nd Level Buffer Cache

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2nd Level Buffer Cache
Date: 2011-03-21 16:47:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/21/11 3:24 AM, Greg Stark wrote:
>> 2-level caches work well for a variety of applications.
>
> I think 2-level caches with simple heuristics like "pin all the
> indexes" is unlikely to be helpful. At least it won't optimize the
> average case and I think that's been proven. It might be helpful for
> optimizing the worst-case which would reduce the standard deviation.
> Perhaps we're at the point now where that matters.

You're missing my point ... Postgres already *has* a 2-level cache:
shared_buffers and the FS cache. Anything we add to that will be adding
levels.

We already did that, actually, when we implemented ARC: effectively gave
PostgreSQL a 3-level cache. The results were not very good, although
the algorithm could be at fault there.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.