Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 RPM repository

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 RPM repository
Date: 2011-03-15 12:38:57
Lists: pgsql-www

On 3/15/11 8:35 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>> If FC11 and earlier aren't supported not having
>> the "latest" stuff might make sense..but to say that they are
>> supported but have an Alpha version of the software might lead people
>> to (erroneously) installing an unstable version of PostgreSQL on
>> their systems.
> OTOH, Fedora 7+ is still supported in SVN. You can build your own
> RPMs...
Understood, but I think many users that use the RPM installers don't
know how to do that - or might not realize they are getting an old
version of PostgreSQL. If they follow the Yum HOWTO they end up with
something that's likely to break at some point (Alpha4)

Seems like it makes the most sense to just say those versions are
unsupported via the RPM install...currently what's out there is, IMHO,
misleading.

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.