Re: Missing Bug-Report #5904?

From: Torsten Zühlsdorff <foo(at)meisterderspiele(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing Bug-Report #5904?
Date: 2011-03-08 15:24:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello,

>>> I can reproduce the above when the database encoding is not UTF8 or
>>> lc_ctype isn't a UTF8 locale.
>
>> Hm... encoding of the database is UTF8. The lc_ctype is 'C'.
>
> Right, that was the same case I checked. In C locale, ä is not a
> letter, so you get the above from the initcap transformation.
>
>> But don't that mean, that the translation of the timestamp to languages
>> with other umlauts should also be wrong. For example to "fr_FR.UTF-8"?
>
> Possibly, I haven't checked. If they have any month names with
> non-ASCII characters in the middle, they'd see the same thing.
> You would certainly also get undesirable results from TMMONTH, since
> it wouldn't know how to uppercase ä. In my view none of this is
> a Postgres bug --- the correct fix is to use locale settings that
> correspond to the behavior you want.

Hm... in my point of view it's a bug, but not necessarily a PG bug. My
desired result is the correct translated output in different languages.
Now i know that this is not possible, because i have to use the correct
lc_ctype for the entire database, which can't be changed after the
database-creation.
The only work-around seems to be to handle the translation myself.
That's very ugly and makes the use of TMMonth pointless, if you have to
take care of the result-output before you use the database.

Thanks to all for your time and help,
Torsten