Re: Beginner question: Hacking environment?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Adrian von Bidder" <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Beginner question: Hacking environment?
Date: 2011-03-08 15:58:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Adrian von Bidder <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch> wrote:

> Or do you advise to just "make install" and test from there?

Pretty much. For development you will want to specify a few options
in the ./configure step. At a minimum I recommend:

--prefix=
--enable-debug
--enable-cassert
--enable-depend

See this page for other options:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/install-procedure.html

Of course, there are those who prefer to use eclipse or some other
IDE. For setting up eclipse, see this page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse

I see that page is a bit out of date (we've converted from CVS to
git), but perhaps you can extrapolate.

-Kevin