Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Efficient transaction-controlled synchronous replication.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Efficient transaction-controlled synchronous replication.
Date: 2011-03-07 07:29:48
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 07.03.2011 01:28, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 18:09 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>> On 03/06/2011 05:51 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>> Efficient transaction-controlled synchronous replication.
>>
>> I'm glad this is in, but I thought we agreed NOT to call it "synchronous
>> replication".
>
> The discussion on the thread was that its not sync rep unless we have
> the strictest guarantees. We have the strictest guarantees, so it
> qualifies as sync rep.

What do you mean by "strictes guarantees"?

I don't see allow_synchronous_standby setting in the committed patch. I
presume you didn't make allow_synchronous_standby=off the default
behavior. Also, the documentation that describes this as two-safe
replication and claims that "the only possibility that data can be lost
is if both the primary and the standby suffer crashes at the same time"
needs big fat caveats to clarify that this doesn't actually achieve
those guarantees.

Please change the name.

--
Heikki Linnakangas