Re: extending pgadmin III with custom views for a domain specific applicaiton

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Kannan Ramaswamy <rkannan(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: extending pgadmin III with custom views for a domain specific applicaiton
Date: 2011-03-05 19:28:43
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

Le 01/03/2011 23:45, Kannan Ramaswamy a écrit :
> [...]
> Does anyone have experience implementing custom functionality on top of pgadmin? This is for an internal corporate application to provide some domain specific functionality on top of the database. I thought that it would be a good idea to extend the pgadmin interface (which the users are already familiar with) to provide value added domain specific functionality (custom validation, visualization on top of database functionality) instead of writing a separate GUI application. The idea is to extend the object browser to new nodes corresponding to domain specific entities/groups (modeled as one or more tables/types in the database) and providing custom viewer/editor forms for them. I looked at the source and it has some documentation on adding custom forms. Is this approach recommended? How would it work with new versions?

I've never heard of anyone doing this. I'm not sure it is the best way
though. I would prefer having a separate tool for corporate objects, but
this is just my point of view.

Anyways, if you still want to add this to your version of pgAdmin, it
should be quite easy to do.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr