Re: [HACKERS] Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set happend during repeatable vacuum

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
Cc: Maxim Boguk <maxim(dot)boguk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set happend during repeatable vacuum
Date: 2011-02-28 22:00:54
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On 28.02.2011 23:28, daveg wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:46:14AM +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> We'll likely need to go back and forth a few times with various
>> debugging patches until we get to the heart of this..
>
> Anything new on this? I'm seeing at on one of my clients production boxes.

I haven't heard anything from the OP since.

> Also, what is the significance, ie what is the risk or damage potential if
> this flag is set incorrectly?

Sequential scans will honor the flag, so you might see some dead rows
incorrectly returned by a sequential scan. That's the only "damage", but
an incorrectly set flag could be a sign of something more sinister, like
corrupt tuple headers. The flag should never be set incorrectly, so if
you see that message you have hit a bug in PostgreSQL, or you have bad
hardware.

This flag is quite new, so a bug in PostgreSQL is quite possible. If you
still have a backup that contains those incorrectly set flags, I'd like
to see what the page looks like.

--
Heikki Linnakangas