Re: criticism about hosting download packages

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: criticism about hosting download packages
Date: 2011-02-25 07:37:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Le 25/02/2011 00:14, Josh Berkus a écrit :

>> first of all: i did some cross checking with legal stuff here this evening and what susanne says seems to be true according to some quick investigation.
>> i don't want to elaborate on the details here and i don't want to add 500 more argument why this simply sucks ...
>> just one final word: stop this kind of stuff ... and do it now ...
>
> Hans, you are not an attorney.
>
> If you go to the EDB download page, the download begins automatically.
> The page tells you that downloads begin automatically. There's a link
> if downloads don't begin automatically. The registration form makes it
> clear that it's for EDB extras.
>
> So I really don't see what the problem is.
>
> Back in 2007, at Sun I hired an industry analyst to do research give me
> a list of the 5 biggest items inhibiting PostgreSQL community growth and
> large enterprise adoption. The lack of "all-in-one packages" was item
> #3. The fact that EnterpriseDB eliminated that item has expanded our
> community and user base to many people who never tried PostgreSQL before.
>
> The one-click packages are important. We do not have the volunteer
> resources as a community to produce them without EDB's help. If we tell
> EDB to get rid of their registration form, they will simply not produce
> them.
>
> So unless you're volunteering the resources of Cybertec to take over
> production of the one-click packages, this is a pointless discussion.

I completely agree with Josh. This issue comes from time to time, and is
getting crazier at each time. I believe now is the time for me to vote
for EDB.

EDB does a lot of work to make the one-click installer a really nice and
usefull tool. They allow people to download it without requiring to
register for it. We may not like their download webpage, but they have
the right to choose what they put on their webpages, and the community
has the right to decide if it wants to link to it or not.

And right now, as the community doesn't have the same kind of installer,
I think we need to keep the link. It's really usefull for many people (I
suppose mostly Windows users).

So, instead of bashing them, we should thank them for this nice tool.

BTW, I'm not an EDB employee, so...

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr